The Fistula Care Plus Project invites you to an exciting panel event at the 5th Global Symposium on Health Systems Research in Liverpool:
Cesarean section safety in low-resource settings: Addressing health system challenges that jeopardize maternal and newborn health
Tuesday, 9 October; 15:00 – 17:00, Room 11A
Arena and Convention Centre (ACC), Liverpool
Health system challenges contribute to poor quality, inequitably distributed surgical obstetric care in low-resource settings. Increasing iatrogenic fistula from unsafe cesarean sections demonstrates the impact of these gaps. Panelists will present evidence regarding the systems contexts and pressures affecting cesarean care and the recommendations of a global consultation to examine these challenges.
Session panelists include:
- Lenka Benova, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- Lina Roa, Program in Global Surgery and Social Change, Harvard Medical School
- Vandana Tripathi, Deputy Director, Fistula Care Plus Project, EngenderHealth
Presentations will include:
- Evidence regarding maternal morbidity resulting from unsafe cesarean section.
- Trends in the volume of these procedures, access disparities, and facility readiness to deliver these services.
- Case studies of health system flashpoints affecting cesarean section quality and safety, e.g., workforce density and task shifting.
- The consensus action agenda identified by participants in a global technical consultation on cesarean section safety and quality, and concrete tactics to advance this agenda.
More information about the global consultation is available at: https://fistulacare.org/resources/program-reports/cesarean-section-technical-consultation/
Refreshments will be served. All are welcome!